Sunday, May 23, 2010

First Cake

So... I make cakes. Everyone is always curious as to how I got into making cakes as a hobby, so I guess I should start with my first cake ever. Before we moved to Jackson, Scott and I lived in Olive Branch and I was a special event coordinator. I would always look at cakes that people brought in for their special events and think to myself, "I could do that." So one Saturday Scott and I were at home and I thought I would give it a shot. I had no cake "tools" at all. I baked a cake in a square pan and cut it into the shape of the University of Kansas Jayhawk (Scott's obsession) using a butter knife. I then used store bought icing and colored the icing using liquid food coloring. With a butter knife, I spread icing on the cake to make it look like the Jayhawk. You can definitely tell that it was my first cake!
You can see my fingers at the bottom of the picture holding the cake together! And if you look closely you will see a crack diagonally across the center! Definitely not my best work (as Scott would say!). But it was my first one, so we were both pretty impressed! It was a few years before I tried my hand at another custom cake again!

No comments:

Post a Comment