Sunday, May 23, 2010

Baseball Cake

It was 4 years later when I tried my next custom cake! I don't remember what inspired me to try again, but Scott and I went to Hobby Lobby one day and I used my allowance (the explanation of the "allowance" deserves its own post) to buy a crown cake pan. However, for some reason I didn't try the crown cake at that point in time. Our friends Seth and Lindsay were just getting home from their baseball season on the road, and I decided that I was going to make Seth a baseball cake for his birthday. So back to Hobby Lobby I went, using more allowance to buy a sports ball pan. I got the tiny star tip (because I didn't know any better), some parchment triangles (because I didn't know any better), and once again - the store bought icing! For HOURS, I piped tiny little, white stars all over the baseball, finally finishing it off with the red laces. I think I had carpal tunnel syndrome after piping all of those stars, but I couldn't have been any prouder of this cake. I had learned to use the star tip on my own, and I had learned to fold those dreaded parchment triangles on my own. I felt so accomplished! I finished off the cake by adding "grass" around the edges (I didn't know then that there was a grass tip that made real looking grass!). All of our friends were so impressed with the baseball cake. And I was encouraged to keep trying more custom cakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment