Thursday, April 28, 2011

Things I am not a fan of...

This is a list of things that I am not a fan of:

#1: Baby Grunting - Lillian is a grunter. I'm not talking about the occasional grunt when she is pooping. I'm saying this girl is a hardcore grunter. Last night she grunted constantly from 1am until about 4:30 am when she finally fell into a deep sleep. Then began grunting again at 5:15am. Not a good night for us. I've been googling baby grunting and there is a myriad of reasons why she may be grunting, including: gas, immature abdominal muscles, not knowing how to work muscles together at the same time to pass gas correctly, constipation, and on and on and on. She has regular dirty diapers so I know that it isn't constipation, but I guess it could be one of the other ideas that I mentioned. That is what I've narrowed it down to at least. I tried everything I knew to try last night: nursing - she finally got to the point where she just wouldn't open up anymore! She didn't want to eat, I tried mylecon and that didn't seem to help, I swaddled and reswaddled (see below), I rubbed her back and her belly, I tried to get her to take her pacifier and she wouldn't, and finally I just stared at her. The solution for grunting (according to the all-knowing internet) is that there is no solution. They just have to grow out of it. GREAT! So no sleep for me until Lillian learns to use her muscles in sync to be able to pass gas. Fabulous! If any of you readers have a grunter and have any advice, I'm all ears.

#2: Babies busting out of the swaddle - I consider myself to be a good swaddler. When I swaddle Lillian she is wrapped up tightly like a little baby burrito and I think to myself, "Huh... see if you can get out of that one." And 20 minutes of grunting later I look over to see that little hand waving all over the place in a very uncoordinated manner. So frustrating. I used the velcro "swaddle me" blanket with Taelyn and that worked well, but Lillian isn't big enough for it yet. Her legs barely make it into the pouch. And my BFF, Haylie, let me borrow her miracle blanket, which I decided to try last night, but she isn't big enough for that one yet either. She sleeps fine during the day when she isn't swaddled. Those arms just lay peacefully up near her face or by her side. But boy, when it gets dark outside, its like the arms grow minds of their own. They won't just lay peacefully and let my baby sleep. They are all over her face, in her eyes and mouth... it truly is amazing!

That is all I can think of right now. As of now, everything else "baby" I am a fan of. This child is so incredibly sweet. I'll keep you posted if any other things pop up on my "not a fan of" list!



No comments:

Post a Comment