Friday, February 18, 2011

TumiRufflers


Soooo... for years and years now I've wanted to learn to sew. I inherited a sewing machine from my grandmother about a year ago, but honestly the thing has terrified me. Every time I would get motivated and take the cover off, I would sit staring at the machine in a trance, not really knowing what to touch, being scared silly of breaking something until eventually I would just put the cover back on it and swear to myself I would learn "one day." Last weekend Scott was cleaning out our storage room and he moved the sewing machine to the center of our garage. I was outside playing with Taelyn and it kept calling my name, "Casey... I need some attention!" Finally I lugged it inside and put it on our kitchen table. That night after Taelyn went to bed I, once again, removed the cover of the machine.

The sewing machine was already thread (threaded??) from when I received it, but I decided that maybe rethreading the entire machine would help me learn the parts easier. Equipped with the user manual (terrible) and you tube, I rethread (rethreaded??) the sewing machine. It was so hard! And it took me about an hour and a half just to thread. However, I do feel like this helped me to not be so scared of it. After that I sewed about 5 stitches (crooked) but it was a little loud and I didn't want to risk waking Taelyn up. 

The next night I moved the sewing machine to my bedroom so that I could get some practice in! Following the user manual, I sewed a straight stitch until I figured out how to keep my straight stitch actually STRAIGHT. Then I sewed a zig zag stitch. I had some fabric scraps and some old t-shirts that I was practicing on.

I'm really excited about this venture. There are a couple of blogs that I read on a regular basis that are about sewing and refashioning children's clothing. Lindsay is the one that came up with the cute term "TumiRufflers." She said that if I end up blogging about my projects then that is what I have to call it! I'll keep you posted on my progress... or lack thereof!


If you are a seamstress (are men called "seamers?"), please feel free to leave pointers or ideas of practice projects!! Any advice would be appreciated!

1 comment:

  1. cool! our parents got kristi and i both a sewing machine a couple years ago for christmas. i had the same terrified feeling from it, and still do really. but i've had fun just DIVING IN! and have kinda learned a good bit that way. i'm pretty comfortable with making repairs to any of our clothing items that need it. my first project was a christmas stocking for ag. mom helped me. and for her first bday i made fabric flag streamers. that was a lot of fun :) keep us posted on your projects!!

    ReplyDelete