Tuesday, February 8, 2011

First Birthday Owl Cake

Last weekend I was able to do a cake for one of my best friends in this world! Kelsey's little girl turned 1 on January 31 (which I cannot believe!!!), and she had a fun birthday party for her! She sent me the invite, and we decided to make the cake match the invite. I absolutely LOVE matching cakes to invitations - it just makes it so unique and individual. This is the invite that Kelsey's incredibly talented, graphic designer husband made for the party.


We decided to do a two-tiered cake with a smash cake. The bottom tier was butter cake (Kelsey's favorite, I think), but I mixed in a little french vanilla (shhh... don't tell Kels!) and the top tier was strawberry. It was covered in buttercream with all buttercream accents. The smash cake was french vanilla covered in buttercream.

I tried to match the owl from the invite on the top of the cake. A "1" went on the side of the top tier and then "Elizabeth" was piped on the side of the bottom tier in an attempt at the same font used on the invite. After I had those major accents, I added some fancy, schmancy scrollies around the sides that matched the 4-corners of the invite. I thought it turned out precious. Here are some different angles of the cake.



For the smash cake we decided to have it shaped like a "1" and then just put some of those same scrollies on the sides of it. I wanted them to continue onto the edges of the top of the one just a little bit. This "1" turned out exactly how I envisioned it in my head, which almost never happens! I was really pleased with it.



Happy Birthday, Sweet Elizabeth! I love you and your mommy so much! Have a great 2nd year! Can't wait to watch you grow!


2 comments:

  1. That's one UGLY cake

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, ANONYMOUS... I'm glad that cake wasn't for you! Good thing the person who ordered it loved it!

    ReplyDelete