Thursday, January 6, 2011

Craftiness of a Different Style

Well, I have made something lately, but it wasn't edible. I didn't do any cakes in the month of December, but I do have a few coming up in January so stay tuned! I have been in the "market" for a bow holder for Taelyn (my 2 year old) for a couple of months now, but didn't want to spend $40 buying one. So, I decided to try my hand at making my own. I haven't painted too much in my life, but I saw a few cute ones that I thought I could attempt to duplicate. This is a picture of Taelyn's bedding, which I wanted the bow holder to match.



I figured I would make something with an owl, and this is the design that I ended up with.

I painted it all by hand and was pretty proud of myself! I thought that painting her name in a particular font was going to be really difficult, and it wasn't particularly easy, but it was a lot like piping icing, which I am used to! When I am writing on cakes, I usually find a font that I like and then look at that font while I hand pipe the icing. So this is the method that I used for painting Tae's name on the plaque part of the bow holder.



Once it was painted I simply added the cute ribbon and a bow on top! Looks great in her room! I'm trying to decide if I want to attempt to paint something else. Like - maybe a canvas or some letters for Lillian's (baby #2) room. Sounds a little overwhelming, but I'll let you know if I give it a try!



No comments:

Post a Comment