Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Welcome, Baby Lucy!

My best friend in this world, Haylie Mulliniks, is having a baby girl next month, and I think I am almost as excited as when I had Taelyn! Sweet Lucy Caroline is truly a blessing from God and maybe one day I'll get around to posting Haylie's amazing story! This past weekend we all loaded up and headed to Olive Branch for a shower for Haylie, Nick and Lucy. I made the cake for the shower and this was an interesting task, for one, because I had to make it in Haylie's kitchen instead of my own kitchen with all of my "cake supplies" on hand!

Secondly, this was an "interesting" task because my friend, Haylie, is "particular" - not to be confused with "difficult," because I would never call her difficult (at least not on my blog that she reads!!!). You see, Haylie is in that small percentage of people that does not really like cake. Even at her wedding she nibbled at the cake and didn't touch any of the icing. She also won't hardly touch a hamburger, and she orders BLT's without the L's and the T's (She is going to disagree with this, but it's true!). So I called her before the shower and asked what it would take for her to actually eat some of the cake that was being made for her shower. She said that she likes cream cheese icing as long as it is not too sweet. So that was my task for this shower, not-too-sweet-cream-cheese icing that you can use to decorate a cake with.

The cake turned out delicious and everyone loved the not-too-sweet-cream cheese icing (especially Haylie), but it was a huge mess as far as decorating goes. The icing was sticky and wouldn't get smooth, and the fondant accents were soaking in moisture from the icing, leaving the cake looking wet (Haylie said it looked "glazed!"). I kept shooting Haylie looks every time someone would comment on how "great" the cake looked. I did like the chocolate plaque that I used as a topper though. I copied the exact stroller from the invitation and it turned out cute!

After the shower I told Haylie that was the last time that I tried to cater to her tastes! Of course I am completely kidding - I'll make her a plain bacon sandwich anytime she wants one!! And the next time we are throwing some sort of party for Haylie, she will get her very own miniature cake with not-too-sweet-cream cheese icing and everyone else will get a beautifully decorated buttercream covered cake!



No comments:

Post a Comment