Monday, July 5, 2010

Cake Catastrophe

I've heard about it. I know it happens to others, but it had never happened to me. Until now! I was completely finished with a cake - had taken finished photos and everything - and I had a cake catastrophe. It all happened very quickly, so quickly that I can't really remember vivid details, but it involved a fondant rolling pin in my hands and a dog under my feet. And the fondant rolling pin piercing the bottom half of the cake. Sigh. Oh, and some tears. And a lot of freaking out.

This is the bachelorette/lingerie party cake that I mentioned in a previous post. Like I said, we had decided to do a Victoria's Secret bag. And like I mentioned previously, this was my fourth cake of the week and I had a lot of packing and cleaning to do before I left on an 8 day vacation the next day. So once I ruined the cake, I knew that I wasn't going to be able to start from scratch because I just didn't have the time. Plus, Kacey, who was attending the lingerie shower and requested the cake, told me at the beginning of the week not to stress out over this cake. I felt like I could do something to salvage the cake and make it semi-cute without having to start all over again. So I chopped off the ruined bottom half and added some fondant "pieces" to the bottom of it. I was hoping to pass it off as tissue paper, but in all honesty it looked very ridiculous. Kacey assured me that it was fine and still looked cute, but I know that she was just being nice. Here are before and after pictures.


Before


After

Then the cake had to travel 6 hours to Destin. It made it in one piece, luckily. Kacey said everyone at the party loved it. Sigh. 

No comments:

Post a Comment